My Website

Join us in following Jesus' call to love God, love others and serve the world...

Stacks Image 53917

Our History

Stacks Image 36798
The present Church Building, listed as a Category B building of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, stands on a site which has been a centre of Christian worship for many hundreds of years, possibly since the 11th Century.

In 1771 the then Church building was reported to be in a ruinous and unsafe state and plans were prepared for a new Church, which was designed in the T plan arrangement, typical of country churches of the period, with a seating of about 400. Considerable internal and external alterations were carried out to the 1771 building during the 1880’s and early 1900’s. By 1906 the Church had reached its present external appearance, with seating for around 300, which is close to the current number of members on the Church Roll.

The interior of the building is very simple, the outstanding feature being a beautiful three light stained glass window, above which is a circular stained glass window on the east gable above the pulpit. The larger window, depicting Jesus, flanked by Peter and Paul, is an 1884 memorial window gifted by a local family.

Our present Minister, inducted to the Church in 1997, is the 19th incumbent of the charge since the Reformation in 1560! Two of the earlier Ministers, a father and son, served continuously from 1743 to 1823, the son going on to be Principal of Glasgow University.
Stacks Image 36660
In 1929 the Church became known as the Old Parish Church when the Church of Scotland united with the United Free Church in the village. The United Free Church, where Eric Liddell, the Missionary, depicted in the movie “Chariots of Fire” occasionally worshipped, became the East Church. In 1935 the two congregations amalgamated. Drymen Parish Church became a linked Charge with Buchanan Parish Church some 2 miles distant in 1959 and is now known as Drymen Church of Scotland.

An ancient graveyard, in the Scottish tradition, is sited to the south of the Church and contains headstones recording burials from the 17th century to the 1890’s.

Further information on the history of Drymen Church can be found through Drymen and District Local History Society's web site.
Stacks Image 36752